INTERNATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: BUILD BRIDGES TO NEW HORIZONS
University Assistant, Science and Technology Studies (Austria) Deadline: June 14, 2018
June 14, 2018
September 1, 2018
Duration of the Program
The University of Vienna, located in Vienna, Austria is one of the largest universities in Europe, and one of the oldest public universities in the German-speaking world. The University has 15 faculties, 4 centers, about 174 fields of study and 9500 members of staff and more than 94000 students.
The Department of Science and Technology Studies is part of the Faculty of Social Sciences. The department is highly research
oriented and has strong international networks. Its research focuses on knowledge and technology cultures, the relations of techno-sciences and publics, and the governance of techno-science and society.
The current opening for the position of a University Assistant (prae doc) at the Department is for four years, from 01.09.2018 to 31.08.2022. The work includes research and teaching activities (holding classes due to extent regulations of wage agreement) as well as administrative duties. The successful candidate will offer courses, and participate in research activities of the department. Besides these, the candidate is also expected to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within 12-18 months.
Science & Technology Studies (STS)
Description & Requirements
Read The Postcolonial Science and Technology Studies Reader to see postcolonial and feminist scholars engage with conventional accounts of STS philosophies and practices!
The selected candidate will work for 30 hours per week. Depending on the relevant work and research experiences, the candidate will be assigned to a suitable salary grade in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.
Following are required to apply for the post:
- Masters degree or equivalent in Social Sciences or in any other field
- Proof of significant prior qualifications in Science and Technology Studies
- Good knowledge in STS theories and methods (particularly qualitative)
- Ability to plan and conduct research in the context of a PhD thesis
- Flexibility & ability to work in a team
- Organisational skills
- Reliability and high work motivation
- Motivation to contribute to innovative interdisciplinary teaching
- Proficiency in English is a must (Good proficiency in German is an asset)
Applications including a Letter of Motivation (German or English) should be submitted here no later than 14.06.2018. Please mention the Reference number: 8651 in your application.
The documents to be enclosed with the Application:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Detailed Letter of Motivation, specifying your capacities in the mentioned areas of work
- Transcripts of prior academic studies
- A Brief proposal for a PhD thesis in Science and Technology Studies (5-8 pages, in English), preferably in one of these research areas: (1) Big Data and Scientific Practice, (2) Environmental Controversies, (3) Knowledge and (E)Valuation.
- A list of five key references that should be covered in an introductory course to Science and Technology Studies on a bachelor level (including a brief justification for each reference)
- 1-2 letters of recommendation.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (to know more, click here). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
For further information please contact:
Fochler, Maximilian +43-1-4277-49613.
Mention that you found this call on The Insightist, Berlin.