Postdoctoral Fellowship Political Science (Norway) Deadline: Sept. 01, 2019
University of Oslo
November 1, 2019
Follow us for a regular update on more such calls:
The Department of Political Science at the University of Oslo announces 1-2 vacant positions as Postdoctoral Fellow. Applications are invited from excellent candidates from all parts of political science, including public policy and administration, comparative politics, political theory and international relations.
The Department organizes teaching into five sections: public policy and administration, comparative politics, political theory, international relations, and research methods. The main purpose of the fellowship is to qualify researchers for work in higher academic positions within their disciplines.
The appointment is for a fixed, non-tenured term of 4 years. The appointee will have a 25% teaching requirement. Successful applicants must therefore be prepared to teach Bachelor’s and Master’s level courses within the Department’s course portfolio as well as tutor Master’s students.
The jobs offers a salary NOK 523 200 – 605 500 per annum depending on qualifications besides the budget for travel and research assistance (currently NOK 35 000 per year), a pleasant and stimulating working environment and attractive welfare benefits, including possibilities for University’s kindergarten and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities.
A comprehensive assessment of the applicant’s scientific qualifications forms the basis of appointment.
- Applicants must hold a degree equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in Political Science or a closely related disipline before taking up the post. The Doctoral dissertation must be submitted for evaluation by the closing date. Appointment is dependent on the public defence of the doctoral thesis being approved.
- Applicants must have excellent written and oral proficiency in English
The following qualifications will count in the assessment of the applicants:
- In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the candidate’s publication record and quality of the research proposal.
- Emphasis will be given to the applicants’ documented teaching skills and formal qualifications, teamwork skills and personal suitability for the position.
Postdoctoral fellows who are appointed for a period of four years are expected to acquire basic pedagogical competency in the course of their fellowship period within the duty component of 25 %.
The application must include:
- A cover letter (statement of motivation, summarizing scientific work and research interests)
- A project description, including progress plan (max. 2 pages)
- A CV (summarising education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience, and other qualifying activities)
- Copies of educational certificates (academic transcripts only)
- A complete list of publications
- Upload a copy of (what you consider to be) your best publication to date (one publication only!), preferably a single-authored article published in an international political science journal. If a co-authored work is uploaded instead, the applicant’s individual contribution must be clarified and confirmed by co-authors.
- List of reference persons: 2 or 3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail, and phone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University’s grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English (or a Scandinavian language).
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications, the project description (whenever this is required in the call for applicants), and the quality of the project as well as the candidates motivation and personal suitability. Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.
It is expected that the successful candidate will be able to complete the project in the course of the period of employment.
More details here.