International Opportunities: Build Bridges to New Horizons
Postdoc position – Social Studies/ Cultural Studies (Germany) Deadline: Oct. 1, 2018
MWK-FELLOWS COFUND Fellowship Program
Max Weber Center for Advanced Cultural and
Social Studies, University of Erfurt
Duration of the Program
The Max Weber Center for Advanced Cultural and Social Studies (Max-Weber-Kolleg) at the University of Erfurt is a highly ranked international research centre. Its ‘Weberian’ research program combines historical, comparative and interdisciplinary perspectives with an interest in normative issues in the social sciences. It has a focus on contemporary social challenges, especially those arising in connection with (religious) plurality, cultural diversity and social processes of acceleration and growth. The core disciplines at the Max-Weber-Kolleg are sociology, economics, religious studies, law, philosophy, history and theology.
Within its fellowship program “MWK-FELLOWS”, the Max-Weber-Kolleg offers (up to) 10 Fellowships for Experienced Researchers. Successful applicants are expected to work on their own research project during their stay, to be accomplished within one year. In addition to being involved in an intellectually vibrant community of interdisciplinary researchers by participating in the advanced study program of colloquia, guest lectures etc., fellows will be supported by targeted personal training.
Requirements & Conditions
Read Rethinking Religious Education and Plurality: Issues in Diversity and Pedagogy that offers a critical view of approaches to the treatment of different religions in contemporary education!
- Applicants must have a doctoral degree or at least an equivalent of four years of full-time research experience.
- Applicants can be of any nationality, but at the time of application they must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies etc.) in Germany for more than twelve months in the three years immediately prior to the application deadline.
- Applicants must propose a research project that can be particularly well supported at the Max-Weber-Kolleg. To fulfill this requirement, applicants must explain in detail in their motivation letter which research group at the Max-Weber-Kolleg can provide this support. Besides, they must identify in their motivation letter at least one relevant researcher at the Max-Weber-Kolleg who has specific expertise in the respective field and with whom the applicant would like to work during the fellowship. A complete list of research groups and research centers at the Max-Weber-Kolleg can be accessed here.
- The research project must propose research that is not excluded from EU funding due to ethical issues.
MWK-FELLOWS will be appointed on the basis of a regular employment contract with the University of Erfurt according to the German Civil Service Collective Agreement (TV-L, pay grade E 13). Alternatively, fellows have the opportunity to stay in a current employment contract with their home universities under the precondition of an accepted leave of absence. The University of Erfurt will compensate the home universities for their costs of replacement as well as the fellows for their additional costs up to a defined sum.
MWK-FELLOWS will receive an individual research and a training budget. They will be provided with a fully equipped workplace and have full access to the academic infrastructure (e.g. library loan, web space).
Applicants are required to submit all the following necessary documents in German or English only via the online application portal that opens on 1 September 2018 and closes on 1 October 2018, 11:59 p.m. CEST. Applications which are submitted by e-mail, regular mail or all other forms of submission not using the online application portal will not be accepted. Click here and here for application guidelines.
- Completed online application form
- Curriculum vitae including a list of publications
- Copy of the degree certificate and transcript of the most recently completed university degree
- Electronic copies of either three reviewed journal publications or one individually authored book, or a copy of the doctoral thesis
- Motivation letter which explains the reasons for the application for the program, particularly why the proposed research project can be excellently supported at the Max-Weber-Kolleg
- Names and contact details of three proposed independent external referees
- Research proposal (3000 to a maximum of 5000 words, excluding bibliography). The proposals must include a brief summary of 10 lines before the main text and must have the following structure: state of the art, main questions, methodology, a detailed work schedule)
- Completed and signed Ethical Issue Form
- Proof of research experience in case applicants do not hold a PhD-degree: a minimum of 4 years full-time equivalent research experience at the call deadline has to be documented.
For further information about the Max-Weber-Kolleg Erfurt and the MWK-FELLOWS fellowship program click here.
Mention that you found this call on The Insightist, Berlin.