Ph.D. Position in Strategic Communication (Sweden) Deadline: June 10, 2019
June 10, 2019
Duration of the Program
Follow us for a weekly update on more such calls:
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40000 students and 7 400 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. The university community is united in their efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition. The Faculty of Social Sciences at Lund University is one of the leading education and research institutions in Sweden and operates both in Lund and Helsingborg.
The University calls for applications for Doctoral studentship. The PhD candidate will be part of the multidisciplinary research project Rethinking urban tourism development: dealing with sustainability in the age of over-tourism that is performed in collaboration between the Department of Strategic Communication and the Department of Service Management and Service Studies since 2018. The aim of the project is to address the challenges generated by the increasing flows of tourists and its effects on sustainability in urban destinations. The project has a holistic view on sustainability from social, economic, cultural and ecological perspectives on destinations. The project departs from a multidisciplinary perspective that aims to address the current views regarding urban tourism by involving a range of stakeholders. The project consists of four subprojects that all deal with challenges in urban destinations with a focus on strategic communication, service innovation and environmental strategy. In addition, the project contributes to new knowledge on future challenges and strategies for sustainable destinations. The result should be applicable to national policymakers and planning agencies for tourism, regional tourism organisations, local stakeholders in municipalities, and partner organisations.
The doctoral student is expected to be present and actively participate in the research and education environment at the department and has the opportunity to take on other duties, such as administration and teaching, up to 20 per cent of full-time working hours. The employment is limited to 4 years (maximum 5 years after an extension at 20% service at the department).
The position is located at the Department of Strategic Communication (ISK), Campus Helsingborg.
More information on the program, here.
Students with basic eligibility for third-cycle studies are those who
- have completed a second-cycle degree,
- have completed courses of at least 240 credits, of which at least 60 credits are from second-cycle courses, OR
- have acquired largely equivalent knowledge in some other way, in Sweden or abroad.
In addition to devoting themselves to their studies, those appointed to doctoral studentships may be required to work with educational tasks, research and administration, in accordance with specific regulations in the ordinance.
In addition to meeting the above general admission requirements, the doctoral student must have at least 30 second-cycle credits in a social science subject, for example, strategic communication, service management, media and communication, human geography, environmental studies or equivalent. The PhD candidate must have completed independent projects of at least 15 second-cycle credits.
The applicant must have proficiency in English sufficient to assimilate published research and PhD teaching and must participate actively in seminar activities.
The PhD candidate should have experience of multidisciplinary education and research environments. The assessment will take into account the ability to work independently and structured, but also the ability to contribute to good cooperation and a good research environment at the department. Major emphasis will be placed on the applicant’s Master’s degree project (thesis or equivalent degree project) and the project idea proposed.
Apply ONLINE here. Reference No. PA2018/4503.
The application must include:
- a cover letter in English of max 1,000 words, which contains a brief presentation of yourself and your qualifications, as well as a brief explanation of why you are interested in participating in the research project Rethinking urban tourism development and the third cycle programme in Media and Communication Studies specialising in Strategic Communication at Lund University,
- a brief outline of a research proposal in English of max 2,500 words including references, containing a description of a research problem and research field, possible research questions and method/s. The research proposal needs to address the overall theme of the research project but present an independent research idea from a strategic communication perspective for example place branding, mediatization and digital media in relation to sustainable urban destinations,
- a CV including certified copies of degree certificates, grade transcripts and other relevant certificates,
- a copy of the Master’s degree project and, if available, other research publications (e.g. articles in scientific journals),
- contact details for two references,
- any other documentation of relevance to the position.
If you have questions, please contact
- Mats Heide, professor, +46 42 35 66 14 Mats.Heide@isk.lu.se
- Jörgen Eksell, Proj.lead. Rethinking urban tourism, +46 42 35 66 17 Jorgen.Eksell@isk.lu.se
- Maria Månsson, Proj.lead. Rethinking urban tourism, +46 42 35 65 47 Maria.Mansson@isk.lu.se
Mention that you found this call on The Insightist, Berlin.
Follow us for a weekly update on more such calls:
If You Know Someone Who Will Benefit From This Call, Share This From Here!