15 Ph.D./ Early Stage Researcher Positions (across Europe) Deadline: Feb. 28, 2019
Five universities across Europe!
Duration of the Program
Follow us for a weekly update on more such calls:
Applications are invited for 15 full-time PhD student positions (called Early Stage Researchers or ESR) for joint and double PhD degrees for 36 months. The positions are offered within the A-WEAR European Joint Doctorate action. A-WEAR is an international, multidisciplinary and multi-sectorial training network and joint doctorate program on wearable computing. A-WEAR is funded by the European Union’s Horizon2020 research and innovation program under the highly appreciated EU-funded Marie Skłodowska Curie grant.
The positions are fully funded for a 36-month period with high-class training and the possibility of PhD graduation with double or joint PhD certificate. Selected candidates can choose their positions in one of five top-level universities in Czech Republic, Finland, Italy, Romania, or Spain and complement their experience within periods of up to 15 months of cross-country and industrial secondments by working with the highly committed industrial partners of the action in the above-mentioned countries. You are encouraged to apply for up to four positions within A-WEAR network if you believe your profile is suitable for multiple topics. A separate application is needed for each position in case you apply for multiple positions.
The 15 ESR projects are listed below. Please read their description carefully before applying and choose only those that best suit to your profile. It is recommended that you choose the position(s) based on your technical profile and desired technical expertise, rather than based on the hosting location, as all positions involve high-level cross-country research mobility, as well as industrial mobility.
ESR1. Energy-efficient edge computing based gateways for wearable networks. Employer: Tampere University, Finland. Double PhD degree with Universita Mediterranea di Reggio Calabria, Italy
ESR2. Large-scale crowdsourcing-based wearables data gathering and processing. Employer: Tampere University, Finland. Joint PhD degree with Universitat Jaume I, Spain
ESR3. Privacy-aware approaches for wireless IoT localization on wearable devices. Employer: Tampere University, Finland. Double PhD degree with University “Politehnica” of Bucharest, Romania
ESR4. 5G and mmWave capabilities in wearable applications. Employer: Tampere University, Finland. Joint PhD degree with Brno University of Technology, Czech Republic
ESR5. Cloud Platform for context-adaptive positioning and localization on wearable devices. Employer: Universitat Jaume I, Spain. Joint PhD degree with Tampere University, Finland
ESR6. Collaborative techniques for infrastructureless Indoor Positioning Systems. Employer: Universitat Jaume I, Spain. Joint PhD degree with Tampere University, Finland
ESR7. Urban Mobility: balancing usefulness and privacy. Employer: Universitat Jaume I, Spain. Joint PhD degree with Brno University of Technology, Czech Republic
ESR8. Centimeter level accuracy for IoT localization of wearable devices. Employer: University “Politehnica” of Bucharest, Romania. Double PhD degree with Tampere University, Finland
ESR9. Industrial wearables for work safety. Employer: University “Politehnica” of Bucharest, Romania. Double PhD degree with Brno University of Technology, Czech Republic
ESR10. Wearables for ehealth. University “Politehnica” of Bucharest, Romania. Double PhD degree with Universita Mediterranea di Reggio Calabria, Italy
ESR11. Low latency machine learning and data mining for wearable devices. Employer: Brno University of Technology, Czech Republic. Joint PhD degree with Tampere University, Finland
ESR12. Reliable and low-latency communication technologies for industrial wearable applications. Employer: Brno University of Technology, Czech Republic. Joint PhD degree with Tampere University, Finland
ESR13. Privacy-enhancing technologies and privacy-enhancing cryptography for wearables. Employer: Brno University of Technology, Czech Republic. Joint PhD degree with Universitat Jaume I, Spain
ESR14. Social-aware discovery and data exchange among IoT devices over Edge Computing platforms. Employer: Universita Mediterranea di Reggio Calabria, Italy. Double PhD degree with Tampere University, Finland
ESR15. New Architecture, communication and networking protocols for supporting 5G-IoT wearable devices connectivity. Employer: Universita Mediterranea di Reggio Calabria, Italy. Double PhD degree with Universitat Jaume I, Spain
- Transnational mobility: The ESR is required to undertake transnational mobility (i.e. move from one country to another) when taking up their appointment. Nationality is therefore not a criterion. Rather the location of the researcher’s residence or main activity during the 3 years prior to their recruitment is determining. The researcher must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the host organization (Spain/Finland/Romania/Italy/Czech Republic) for A-WEAR for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the start date (e.g., September 2019). Note: the mobility rule applies to the (first) beneficiary where the researcher is recruited, and not to beneficiaries to which the researcher is sent or seconded. It is also only determined at one point in time: at the time when the ESR starts working for A-WEAR. If in doubt whether you fulfill the mobility condition, please send your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs)/fresh MSc graduates: All researchers recruited in A-WEAR must have maximum 4 years since the completion of their first MSc degree and have not been awarded any doctoral degree at the date of the employment. If in doubt whether you fulfill the ‘fresh MSc degree’ condition, please check at email@example.com
- Background requirements: the applicant must be in possession of Master of Science (MSc) diploma in a relevant field, such as electrical engineering, communications engineering, software engineering/computer science, signal processing, radio communications, mathematics, physics, aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, biomedical engineering, etc.
- English language requirements: the candidate must be in possession of an English certificate with good level according to the regulations of the two universities involved in the double/joint PhD degree
The candidates must submit the application and the following documents here:
- Certified copies of the bachelor’s and master’s degree certificates and the transcripts
- A Diploma Supplement (DS)
- Curriculum Vitae/CV
- List of publications (if any)
- References: minimum 2 reference letters to be attached to the application and contact details of 2 or more referees included in the CV
- Motivation letter
- A short essay called “Dissertation Proposal” (max 2 pages)
- Copy of the passport
- Proof of residence:
- English language certificate
- IELTS Academic (min. score 6.5)
- TOEFL (min. score 92 in iBT and 580 in PBT)
- PTE Academic (min. score 62)
- Cambridge Language Certificate (Proficiency CPE or Advanced CAE) (min. score C).
(If no English certificate is available at the time of the application, the candidate must add a signed statement that in case he/she is pre-selected he/she commits to acquire in a timely manner all the compulsory English certificates for the universities where he/she will enroll as PhD student)
More details here.
The applicants may select up to four positions that interest them within the network. For each selected position, a different essay is required, fine-tuned to the position you apply for. If the applicant is selected for more than one position, the order of preference in the application will be taken into account
Mention that you found this call on The Insightist, Berlin.
Follow us for a weekly update on more such calls:
If You Know Someone Who Will Benefit From This Call, Share This From Here!